Thursday 10 May 2012

Getting to know your camera - focal length and angle of view

In this exercise I used three different focal lengths to record the same object.
The first was taken on focal length of 70mm, second on 122mm and the last was taken on 300mm. All those pictures represent the same object through different magnification or we can say zoom. 

Part of this exercise was to print them out, stand at the same spot, as from where they were taken and try hold it in front of me to match the ORIGINAL background. Each picture had to be held on different distance from my eye. The wider, 70mm shot I could hold closer to my face to perfectly match with the background. More I zoomed in (used higher focal length 122mm and 300mm) I had to move my printed copies further from my eye to match with the background. 

Different focal lengths represent different points of view. 

Our eyes are used to see reality through wider optics - (on my camera it is around 50mm) but thanks to our peripheral vision it can never be matched exact. When we magnify (zoom) to the object of our desire it offers us completely new perception of reality.

This exercise shows us how the reality can be shaped and interpreted by using different focal length.


70mm

122mm

300mm

No comments:

Post a Comment