Thursday 10 May 2012

Photographing movement - Shutter speed


This exercise is focused on understanding of shutter speed. Camera was mounted on tripod and the only thing which was changing was shutter speed (and ISO to compensate exposure). 

I have chosen a small village road with loads of speed bumps so all cars had to have constant speed. I started with the fastest shutter speed of 1/1000th of second and than continued stepping the speed down to 1/800th, 1/400th, 1/200th, 1/100th and finally 1/50th of second. 

As I stepped the speed down, I could see how images started to get blurry. Pictures taken at 1/1000th and 1/800th of second were sharp but the rest of them have had all motion blur.

Of coarse the sharpness of a moving object depends on two factors, the speed of the object and the shutter speed.

When I compared all pictures I could observe continues sharpness graduation. If I had to choose those I like, it would be the one taken on 1/50th of second where the car is completely in motion blur. It reflects the action and dynamic of movement which is in a beautiful contrast to that pin sharp background. 
1/1000 s

1/800 s

1/400 s

1/200 s

1/100 s

1/50 s

No comments:

Post a Comment